Sunday, August 21, 2011

Happy Birthday Michael












We celebrated Michael's 18th birthday yesterday.  Sabrina wanted to know if that made him a man and Samantha wanted to know if turning 18 meant he didn't have to listen to us anymore. We had a few lessons in what it meant to be living at home with your parents and going to school when you are 18, and then we went to the China Palace Buffet for dinner to celebrate.  We only invited a couple of his friends and his grandparents.  In the end, the dinner guests were Peyton, me, Michael, Destiny, Sabrina, Samantha, Amelia, Noel, Mema Shirley, Papa Don, Mema Lorelei, Papa Jerry, Grandmother Tingle, Granddaddy Tingle, Molly, Santos Robles, and Jason English.  I loved doing the party at a restaurant.  No setup and no cleanup!  We all enjoyed ourselves.  I wish we had memories of what it was like the day he was born or pictures of Michael as a baby, but just looking back on the past 7 years, it is unbelievable how much he has changed. Michael has been taller than me since he was 15.  His voice has completely changed.  He smiles so much more than he used to.  I know there are memories that we will never be able to share with him...roots and history that we might never know, but I am confident that we have made significant contiributions to the man he will become. Happy Birthday, Son!  I hope as you head into manhood that you will find the path that is right for you.  Dream big and don't settle!  Work hard for what you want in life and live each day to the fullest.  All of this and my stomach was in knots when he walked out the front door last night to go hang out with his friends.  I don't like the 'boys in cars' part of this motherhood thing.

No comments: