Saturday, November 10, 2007

Something's Missing

......haven't been able to nail it down. It's a lot of things. It's riding around in my first car with Codie, Tammy, Derek, JH and Brian. Listening to the Black Crowes and N.W.A. (Who would ever guess that I STILL know every word from Straight Outta Compton?) There are just some things you never forget. Volleyball games at Swan Lake, lying on the merry go round at midnight, the Taco Bell parking lot on Friday nights, ridiculous nicknames and falling in love for the first time.

Then I was older and it was:

Trivial Pursuit games at Betty and George's. Concerts...everything from Bon Jovi to Metallica....even Reba, Garth and Travis Tritt. Mosh pits. Cut throat Monopoly with Rustie, Adam, Heather, JH and George. Debbie's cookouts. Taylor Mae crawling into my bed to watch cartoons on Saturday mornings. Jessica, Michelle and Alexis at the swimming pool (there was never a better job than being a nanny to those girls). North Carolina every other weekend.

....and then I met Peyton...
.
The Irish Bred, (picture your favorite episode of Cheers). Jeff's Kamakazi's. Waffle House at 4am (if you know the staff by name and they know what you are going to order before you walk in the door. Your life is either very pathetic or very fun.) Karaoke at B52's. Volleyball at Hammers. Fire extingushers (don't ask). Josh's guitar, Tim's laugh, Eric's jokes, Lance's arrogance. Jessica's smile. Maddie's British sense of humour. Dancing...all night, every night. Late night talks with Dexter. Willie's Bear Hugs. Dave's Dewars. Playing pool and "being with the band." Last minute trips to New York City, Vegas, Biolxi, Cherokee,Cancun. The dog track (Victoryland). Sunday's in bed. Sleeping next to my husband with no little people in between.

...and then we were SIX.....

I already know that very soon I am going to miss little girl giggles, trips to the park, middle school football games, baby dolls, pig tails, colorful "artwork" on every wall (not always on paper, but on tables, chairs, the wall, the floor). Spelling tests, swing sets, and little fingers holding my hand.

Kathy Jaques called me yesterday. It was wonderful just to talk and catch up. Jessica and Michelle are off at UGA. They're adults now. Alexis has found herself an only child....with parents who have too much attention focused on her. And then right after we hung up, I went out to dinner for Bethany's birthday. She turned 21. She's the baby of our family, so this is a BIG deal. Bethany.Jenny, Codie, Tammy, Jessica, Jessie, Stacy, Melissa and several of Bethany's friends. It was a nice surprise for Beth, but an even bigger treat for me. I am still where I began in so many ways. I had as much fun last night at Provino's as I did riding around in that old Mercury Lynx...the soundtrack has changed, but the characters are the same. They rotate into and out of my life, and when we reconnect, it's like we never lost sight of one another.

....so nothing is really missing.....it's just what Peyton is ALWAYS telling me. "...life moves in cycles...one after the other." Everything always comes back to you.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

This is great Bobbie. I can really tell how you are feeling. You are a wonderful writer! Peyton sounds a lot like Neil (or I guess the other way around). The kids will love this one day.