Sunday, August 24, 2008

It's not too little....

I have had the most interstering morning with Samantha. I spent most of yesterday cleaning out their room and getting rid of all of the toys that they have outgrown. A few special ones, I put away "just in case" we ever need them, but for the most part, they are on their way to the battered women's shelter. This morning, I started on the clothes. If you've been to our house lately, you know that Samantha broke her closet door. I don't know how she managed, but basically, she went into and out of the closet at least a dozen times a day changing clothes. It's her favorite thing in the whole world to do. Try on clothes and take them back off again. With the closet door down, she's had everything they own scattered across the floor. This morning, I recruited Sami to help me decide which clothes no longer fit her. Every time she picked up a pair of her jeans or a shirt, she would say. "I know this still fits mommy." I couldn't quit laughing when she was walking around in her jeans that are literally two inches too short. I was putting everything that was too small in a basket topass on to the other little girl cousins. Since they are mostly 24 months and 2Ts, I was packing a bag for Kenna, and one for Scarlett. A lot of their things were so worn out, I was also making a pile to throw away. So, Sami girl finally realized that not all of the clothes were going back into her closet. In fact, she barely had anything left. We had 1 pair of pants and 2 sets of overalls in a size 3T. She is at a very sensitive stage right now, so she started bawling. I explained that we were giving the clothes to our other little cousins. She wanted no part of it. I tried to tell her that we would buy her new clothes for everything that she was giving away. I couldn't keep her out of the room, because she wanted to make sure I didn't give away anything that was hers. When I was all done, I have to admit it looked grim. For a little girl who loves clothes, this little girl had very few left. I asked Samantha if she remembered when her cousin Riley sent clothes to her that she couldn't wear anymore. I pulled out a bin full of clothes from Riley. There must have been at least 8 pairs of pants and several tops. Then I found the bag that Mema Shirley, Mema Lorelei and I bought throughout the course of last year that were too big...another five or six outfits were in that bag. It happens that way when you buy as much at yard sales as we do. In the end, she was laughing and dancing and trying on her new clothes. When she took off the pair of shorts she was wearing, she threw them into the basket and said, "Mommy, these are for Scarlett and Kenna, cuz they will fit them."

No comments: