Thursday, August 21, 2008

MRI Results

I finally got my MRI results yesterday, along with more tests and more needles. I knew the results without having to be told. I have two more herniated discs. I believe these two new discs have been ruptured for a little over a year. The one directly below and directly above the last two that I had the lower lumbar discectomy on. The good news is they are not going to require surgery anytime soon, if ever. They are not related to the initial injury, but I am pretty convinced that this is hereditary. My dad's brothers and sisters all have back problems. All have either had a major back surgery or have been told they need to have one. My uncle Charles has been walking with crutches for as long as I can remember. Betty is on the verge of surgery now. She's trying to hold off, but her pain is getting harder to stand every day. Gary just had his second back surgery last year, and Aunt Fay had surgery this past summer. I believe I was destined to have this problem. But another good thing about my latest visit is that it is already improving drastically from where it was six weeks ago. I've been feeling pretty rotten today and yesterday, but I believe that was from all of the poking, proding and electrodes....not to mention the doctor pushing the limits to see how far my range of motion is these days. Dr Lazarus believes that I can keep this in check with the therapy I have already been doing and medication. If I treat my back like I did right after surgery, there is no reason for it to get any worse. I haven't picked the girls up in a couple of months. I probably should never have been carrying them around, but I will hold them if they are handed to me and I will sit and them crawl up into my lap. They are too big now for me to bend over and pick them up.

No comments: