Sunday, August 3, 2008

Rick Springfield and Life Without Kids

I had almost forgotten what life without kids could be like. Peyton and I have had three days without our children. The girls have been at my mom's and Michael is at Blake's house. Funny thing is, the first night, Peyton and I both had to work late. The second night, I picked Destiny up at Kylee's house and my mom brought all of the kids over for a couple of hours when she came to pickup Destiny. Peyton made it home just after midnight from work. He did a job to the Highlands...one of those fun barge, house on island deals that take FOREVER. But yesterday was great. We didn't see one another until about 3pm. Peyton had to return the truck and went by his dad's house to see Owen before he left town and I slept until 1030. Then we went to the Rick Springfield concert. Kim, Kelly, Peyton and I went to Taco Mac before the concert for a drink and some wings. Then we headed to the Fred. We were there less than ten minutes when it started to storm. Trees blowing, raining hard. There is just enough cover at the Fred, which is an outdoor ampitheater for people to gather out of the rain. Peyton and I headed to the bar, while Kelly and Kim decided the bathroom was the safest place to hang out in a storm. Basically, since we were right under a small awning with about 15 other people (all that would fit), the bartender had nothing but time on her hands. I helped her to fill that time. She started pouring the Absolut and by the time the rain cleared, I was cloudy. I have to say this was the craziest and best night I've had in a few years. Rick was fantastic. Even Peyton was really impressed. I can't believe he's almost 60 years old. The music was great and his energy was all that I knew it would be. I have waited 24 years to see him. I was 10 years old the last time my sister, Kim, got to go to one of his shows. I wasn't old enough. She was barely 14 herself. So, I can't imagine sharing that night with anyone else. Kim drove Peyt and I home. Very funny. The cop made us turn left instead of right when we exited the theater. The two of us in the back of the escalade, completely ignoring Kim as she asked, "is this the right way?" We just kept glancing out the window and saying, "yeah....just keep going straight." Well, we were actually on HWY 74 in Fairburn before I glanced out the window and said, "Kim, take your next right, we're in Fairburn." I thought she would kill me, but I couldn't quit laughing. We went at least 7 miles out of the way. It was too funny. We were all so busy singing and carry on like a bunch of teenagers. Kim is having surgery on Friday, so she couldn't drink. Good thing for us because we certainly needed a driver. We made it home about 0030 or 0100. Of course, going to bed was completely out of the question. We didn't have any kids in our house. We took the party out to our back porch and didn't make it to bed until 0545 this morning. I couldn't believe the time. Turns out, we still have a lot in common outside of our kids. I remember this morning why I was so head over heels forPeyton when I met him. He is TRULY CRAZY and CREATIVE in a really fun way. I've never met anyone who makes me laugh the way he does. I'm the luckiest girl in the world. I hope my girls find someone as loving and generous as their dad when they grow up. I won't wish that Michael find someone like me...that might be tragic for him, I'm a little difficult sometimes.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Tragic? oh whatever! Michael would be lucky to find someone like you.